The Miracle of Honey



I am a true believer on the benefit of honey. Since medical school, I used to trade my sugar intake to honey.
I still limit the amount of sweetness that I took but instead of using sugar or brown sugar, I swapped it to honey.

As we know, honey is rich with nutrients and minerals.
It is also a cure for many diseases as stated in Al-Quran.
                                                     What is it about honey that makes it so special??
                     Honey is actually from flower nectar and it is composed mainly of sucrose and water.
                                                                 Very natural
                                   Hence, honey is a source of carbohydrates, containing
                                  80% natural sugar -- mostly fructose and glucose.
                     18% water. The less water content the honey has, the better the quality.
                                   2% minerals, vitamins, pollen and protein.
The vitamins present in honey are B6, thiamin, niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid and certain amino acids. Basically it is like a B complex vitamin that we take daily.
The minerals found in honey include calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc. 
                               Which makes honey is the kind of food great for the nerves and brain development.
Imagine taking a spoonful of something so tasty and you will receive almost all the essential minerals that you won't get from any other food.
Besides, it has no fat, no cholesterol but contains an antioxidant which helps combat diseases and an anti-ageing effect.
Anti-oxidant is the key to being healthy, young and beautiful. That is why beauty products and beauty drinks always promote anti-oxidant.
Scientists believe that anti-oxidant also prevent cancer.
One of my favourite effect on honey is that it facilitates healing process and prevents scarring. This is because honey stimulates the growth of epithelial cells that form the new skin cover over a healed wound.
                   It stimulates the regrowth of tissue involved in the healing process and the formation of new blood capillaries and the growth of fibroblasts that replace the connective tissue of the deeper layer of the skin and produce the collagen fibres that give strength to the repair.
                                    Making it a great masker.
Besides that, it has an anti-inflammatory action, which reduces the swelling around a wound. This improves circulation and thus hastens the healing process. It also reduces pain.
The anti-bacterial property in a honey makes it even more useful for acne. 
If you apply it locally onto your skin, it's anti-bacterial property will prevent the colonization of bacteria on the skin which cause acne and reduce the redness on top of swelling.
Isn't it a miracle food?
Nutritional Values
Average amount in a portion
Average amount in 100 g
Water
3.6 gr
17.1 gr
Total carbohydrates
17.3 gr
82.4 gr
Fructose
8.1 gr
38.5 gr
Glucose
6.5 gr
31.0 gr
Maltose
1.5 gr
7.2 gr
Sucrose
0.3 gr
1.5 gr
Nutritional Contents
Total calories (kilocalories)
64
304
Total calories (kilocalories) (as fat)
0
0
Total fat
0
0
Saturated fat
0
0
Cholesterol
0
0
Sodium
0.6 mg
2.85 mg
Total carbohydrate
17 gr
81 gr
Sugar
16 gr
76 gr
Diet fibres
0
0
Protein
0.15 mg
0.7 mg
Vitamins
B1 (Thiamine)
< 0.002 mg
< 0.01 mg
B2 (Riboflavin)
< 0.06 mg
< 0.3 mg
Nicotinic acid
< 0.06 mg
< 0.3 mg
Pantothenic acid
< 0.05 mg
< 0.25 mg
Vitamin B6
< 0.005 mg
< 0.02 mg
Folic acid
< 0.002 mg
< 0.01 mg
Vitamin C
0.1 mg
< 0.5 mg
Minerals
Calcium
1.0 mg
4.8 mg
Iron
0.05 mg
0.25 mg
Zinc
0.03 mg
0.15 mg
Potassium
11.0 mg
50.0 mg
Phosphorus
1.0 mg
5.0 mg
Magnesium
0.4 mg
2.0 mg
Selenium
0.002 mg
0.01 mg
Copper
0.01 mg
0.05 mg
Chromium
0.005 mg
0.02 mg
Manganese
0.03 mg
0.15 mg
ASH
0.04 mg
0.2 gr

Therefore during my pregnancy, I took honey diligently as I hate taking supplements and multivitamin.
It is better if you can take them all but sadly I find taking pills too boring.
With honey, I can add in my green tea, in my lemon drinks, in oats, in smoothie and etc.

After the delivery, I continue taking honey to make my milk rich with nutrients and to speed up tissue healing after the delivery.
Yupp, I healed really fast. 3 days I could go to toilet and bath my baby and do a lot of stuff on my own. My MIL said I didn't look like I had just gave birth as I was fit already.

I am not sure if taking honey increase milk production but I seemed to believe that it helps making my baby stronger. She escaped several cold attack from hubby and I during her confinement period. I was taking honey and lemon 4x in a day to heal my sorethroat. Alhamdulillah,eventhough I was in contact with her, she didn't get the cold at all.

Honey is rich with iron to prevent anemia.
Pregnant lady and breastfeeding mothers are usually anemic as we are sharing our nutrients with our babies, so we should be taking any kind of supplements and obimin to prevent anemia and to protect our body.

Beware!Honey is not for kids less than 2 years old as their digestive system is not ready to digest the spores in honey and could cause botulism.

Who can take honey?
Anyone older than 2 years old who want to stay healthy.
Make sure you get an original honey because the fake one is just sugar and water.


See like mine Madu Tualang asli.
RM 70 only.
People are selling for RM90 and above.
I took this from a pakcik who collect the honey from Pokok Tualang in Pahang.
The trees are so high in the sky.
Sian pakcik ni.

Comments

Popular Posts